In the past, and sometimes in the present, used cars have gotten a bad rap. The truth is, however, if you do your homework and your research and look only at used cars from reputable dealers, you can often find a very good deal on a dependable vehicle. By searching VIN numbers, for instance, you can often find out a car’s history when it comes to accidents and major repairs. And while this may not be true of all the used cars that are lots across the country and offered for sale by private owners, you can make a decision to only purchase a vehicle that comes with with this kind of history and information.
Back to School Season Is a Busy Time for Used Car Dealerships
As parents across the U.S. get ready to send their older children back to school, it should come as no surprise that there are many buyers who are looking for an affordable and dependable car or truck. And while it might be every young driver’s dream to own a brand new car, the reality is that most family budgets are far more ready to handle a used car payment.
In the year 2014 alone, the number of people with a driver’s license in the U.S. increased from 167 million to 214 millions. With more licensed drivers, there are obviously more people looking for a vehicle to drive. Consider some of these facts and figures about the automobile industry and the impact that it has on the nation’s economy:
- In its lifetime, the average vehicle will likely have three owners.
- Under $5,000 is the most frequently searched price range for a used vehicle.
- In the for used vehicle market , automatic transmissions outnumber manual transmissions 10 to one.
- Experts recommend that If you are planning to buy a vehicle that is less than five years old, you should consider one that is certified pre-owned (CPO).
- There were 38.3 million used-vehicle sales industrywide, according to 2015 Used Vehicle Market Report. This number represented the best annual tally in eight years.
- Nearly 40 million used cars exchange hands each year between private party and dealership sales.
If you are going in search of a used car for a new driver this fall, there are a number of resources that are available to you to make sure that you are getting a dependable vehicle for an affordable price.